Gone are the days when you can disregard health & safety, especially here in Australia and every business owner needs to delegate resources to ensure compliance. We asked a business guru for a few tips on health & safety, which we outline below.
- Covid Deep Clean – If you are looking for covid cleaning in western Sydney, Google can take you to the website of a leading commercial cleaner and you can book the service online. The government issue important information about covid on an almost daily basis, so have someone keep abreast with government directives. PPE should always be available, while the right signage is also important to remind employees. Test kits should be present and if social distancing is required, make sure everyone understands this. If staff can work from home, this might be a good alternative, at least until the pandemic is over.
- Risk Assessment – If you have yet to carry out health & safety risk assessment, contact a leading HR agency and let them handle all your HR needs. The risk assessment leads to a plan of action that, when implemented, minimises the risks to your workers.
- Employee Training – Your workforce is you most valuable asset and regular H&S training will pay long-term dividends. If you don’t have the time or the resources for this, talk to a local HR agency, who have a team of experts who can tailor the course to suit the business. Manual handling is a very important aspect for many businesses and training certain employees on safe handling techniques is something to consider.
- Mental Health – Let’s face it, living in the 21st century can be stressful and if staff members are suffering from anxiety, this will impact their performance. At the end of each meeting, you could mention that talking about problems is good and remind your employees that you are always available. Read up on signs of stress and be observant, looking for tell-tale signs in your employees.
- Tools & Equipment Inspection – A portion of workplace accidents are caused by faulty tools or equipment; delegate one employee to carry out tools and equipment inspections on a weekly basis and repair or maintenance should be done on the spot. All vehicles should be serviced according to mileage intervals and spare parts should be available.
It is crucial that every organisation and business complies fully with health & safety regulations and for most business owners, outsourcing is the best way to ensure compliance.