You may wonder if gutters can last for long if you have an older house. It all depends on the material they are made of and how you care for them.
How long do gutters last?
The majority of gutters that are installed today are made from aluminum. Seamless gutters offer superior benefits over other types, such as fewer leaks and greater durability, as well as less maintenance. The life expectancy for aluminum gutters is 20 years. Aluminum downspouts can last up to 30 years, as they are subject to less wear than gutters.
Gutters made from copper are common in older homes. These gutters can be added to your home to give it an Old World feel. Copper gutters last 50+ years, while copper downspouts are capable of lasting up to 100 years before they need to be replaced.
How to prolong the life of your gutters
These gutters have an impressive life expectancy. But, you can make them last longer by following these tips.
- Two times a year, clean the gutters: once in fall after all leaves have fallen and again in spring.
- When cleaning gutters, don’t use a ladder to reach them.
- Avoid using abrasive chemicals, such as bleach, when power washing the house. This could cause damage to the gutters.
- Seal the corners once every five years.
- You can hire a gutter company that is experienced in maintenance and repairs.
How to Know When it’s Time to Replace Your Gutter
You might not know how old your gutters are if you live in an older house. Because they wear so slowly, it can be hard to determine when you need to replace your gutters. It is important to replace gutters before they become completely discolored. This will help to prevent roof damage, water leaks, and fascia rot. These are the signs to look out for:
- Sections coming loose
- Widespread visible rust
- Gutter cracks or holes
- Gaps between fascia boards and gutter connections
- Nails on the ground, which were loosened from the gutters
- Broken fasteners
- Water stains or mold on the siding
- After a downpour, pool water near your house
- Water channels or washed-out sections of landscaping
You may be able to see how long gutters can last and decide it is time to replace them. Contact Pyramid Aluminum for more information or to schedule services within the Tampa Bay area.
This article was written by Bob Elliot, Bob is the sales/design consultant for Pyramid Aluminum Inc. https://pyramidaluminum.com/ is dedicated to providing installation designed with an eye to detail and built for the long-lasting value our clients deserve. We are fully equipped to handle any project in the Tampa Bay area. Residential or commercial, no job is too large or too small!